Fitness consultants work closely with the Fitness Coordinator and Student Directors in Campus Recreation’s fitness facilities. Fitness employees have the opportunity to gain experience in the following areas: cardiovascular and strength training programs, equipment management, and fitness floor supervision. The program expectation is that by the third semester, fitness employees will become nationally certified personal trainers, build a client base, and personally train clients. Additional promotional opportunities are available through an application and interview process to employees who demonstrate initiative and strong work ethic.
- Answer patron questions, assist with proper set-up of machines, demonstrate proper workout techniques and provide form corrections, and ensure the safety of patrons in workout areas of the Leach Student Recreation Center and Fitness & Movement Clinic.
- Provide customer service to patrons at the Fitness Desk in the Leach Center and FMC.
- Assist with check-ins for group fitness classes.
- Re-rack weights within designated areas, when necessary.
- Serve as a first responder to medical emergencies within facility.
- Positions are available to current FSU students.
- Must be available to work for a minimum of three consecutive semesters.
- Ability to work a minimum of 12 hours per week.
- Current Red Cross CPR/First-Aid certification. Opportunity for certification process provided by department once hired.
- Ability to demonstrate and spot major exercises such as squat, bench press, etc.
- Must be able to safely lift and rack 45 lb. weight plates and heavy dumbbells.
- Applicants with educational backgrounds in Exercise Science, Nutrition & Fitness, and other related fields will be given priority. Applicants without appropriate educational background should possess a strong practical knowledge of strength and cardiovascular training.
- Successful candidates must also possess good communication skills, a positive attitude and work well with supervisors, employees, and patrons of the facility.
The typical hiring period for this position begins approximately 1-2 months prior to the end of each semester. Job information sessions will be held on multiple days. All interested applicants should attend an information session for an overview of the positions, pay rates, and application details. Look for details on the Campus Recreation home page and information posted throughout each fitness facility.
If you have any questions, please call us at 850-644-1613 or email us. You can also stop by the Leach Center or FMC during normal operating hours to talk with our staff about our job opportunities.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Campus Rec team!