Leach & Rez Lifeguards
Campus Recreation Lifeguards are responsible for the health and safety of all Leach Aquatic Center and Rez Waterfront patrons. Those lifeguards who successfully complete one semester with FSU Aquatics will be trained in American Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding and will be given the opportunity to work at the FSU Rez where they will be responsible for the safety and supervision of our 73-acre waterfront facility. Lifeguards also have the ability to gain leadership experience through our Student Director positions. Promotional opportunities are available through an application and interview process to employees who demonstrate initiative and strong work ethic.
Hiring Period & Application
Apply now through Friday, March 23rd.
- Maintain constant surveillance of patrons in the facility.
- Act immediately and appropriately to secure safety of patrons in the event of an emergency. Administer CPR/AED and First Aid in an emergency until the arrival of emergency medical services.
- Enforce facility rules, regulstation, and policies.
- Inspect the facility and report any unsafe conditions or equipment.
- Implement Campus Recreation Emergency Action Plan, as needed.
- Positions are available to current registered FSU students during the semester of employment.
- Available to work at least one complete semester.
- Available to work at least 10 hours per week.
- Attend monthly in-service trainings typically held on Sunday evenings.
- Possess a current certification in lifeguarding and CPR from a nationally recognized agency (recently expired certifications will be considered).
- Successful completion of the pre-employment skills assessment, included below.
Pre-employment Skills Assessment
- Tryout Dates and Times:
- Monday, March 26th; 5pm-10pm
- Tuesday, March 27th; 5pm-10pm
- Wednesday, March 28th; 5pm-10pm
- Timed 200 yard swim
- Timed brick event (retrieve a 10 lb brick from approximately 10 ft of water, swim it across the 25 yard pool, exit without using a ladder)
- CPR skills
- Active Drowning Victim rescue skills
- Passive Drowning Victim rescue skills
- Spinal Approach and Turn Over
- Brief Interview