This course meets on 4 days over a 2-week period. Attendance at all sessions is required.Safety Course Information Register Now on Rec Connect
The purpose of the American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach courses and presentations in the American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim Program. Successful candidates will be eligible to apply for swim lesson instructor positions at any facility that accepts the American Red Cross WSI certification.
- Current FSU Students: $195
- Non-Student Campus Recreation Members: $235
- Non-Member FSU Faculty & Staff: $255
- All Others: $295
- An additional $35 paid directly to the American Red Cross upon registration is required of each participant
- Day 1: Thu Apr 4, 5:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Day 2: Fri Apr 5, 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Day 1: Thu Apr 10, 5:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Day 2: Fri Apr 11, 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Location: Leach Center Wet Classroom
- Students must be 16 years of age.
- Demonstrate competency in the 6 major swimming strokes:
- Front and Back Crawl, Breaststroke, Elementary Backstroke, Sidestroke, and Butterfly.
- Participants should come prepared to demonstrate 25 yards of each stroke (15 yards for Butterfly) on the first day of class.
- Students will also be asked to maintain a floating position on their back for 1 minute and tread water for 1 minute.
- Instructor candidates that are unable to successfully pass the prerequisites will not be able to continue in the course and will be given a partial refund of $75 from Campus Recreation. The American Red Cross fee is non-refundable.
Registration opens Tuesday, January 8th at 10:00 am online via Rec Connect and in-person at the Guest Services Desk located at the front entrance of the Leach Recreation Center.