FSU Aquatics offers an Open Water Diver course taught by instructors from the nation’s oldest national SCUBA certification agency. You will master the academic curricula as well as the physical skills necessary to become a safe and confident scuba diver in this fun 8-week course. Learn from the agency with the highest academic and skill standards in the U.S., meet other future divers, and have fun!Register Here
|Week Number||Classroom Day (Monday)||Pool Day (Wednesday)||Open Water|
|1||January 13||January 22|
|2||January 27||January 29|
|3||February 3||February 5|
|4||February 10||February 12|
|5||February 17||February 19|
|6||February 24||February 26|
|7||March 2||March 4||March 7 (March 8 backup)|
|8||March 9||March 11|
|Spring Break -||Keys Trip||March 20 - 22*|
|9||March 23 - Exam||March 25||March 28 (March 29 backup)|
*These classes are offered from 6:00 – 8:00 PM
**Optional Keys trip March 20 – 22
**Keys trip dates tentative; additional cost involved in the Keys trip
Total cost of the course is $325 for currently enrolled FSU students and $375 for all others.
- Upon registration, participants will need to submit a non-refundable deposit (part of the course total).
- Deposit is $65 for currently enrolled FSU students.
- Deposit is $75 for all others.
- This cost includes all SCUBA equipment for the duration of the course, SEI Diving Course Packet (workbooks, dive tables, log book, carrying case), and dive fees for state parks. The basic course fee (minus the deposit) is due the first night of class.
Required Course Materials
Students are responsible for supplying their own mask, fins, snorkel, and dive booties that fit properly and are appropriate for scuba diving.
- Course Text is Dennis Graver’s Scuba Diving, 5th Edition.
- ISBN-13 (Book Number) 978-1492525769
- Fee $27.49
- Certification Fee: $15
Skin diving equipment can be purchased at the local dive shops including Coral Reef Scuba (Capital Circle NE). Do not buy gear until you have been to the first class. The text can either be purchased through the instructor, at local bookstores, or online. If you choose to purchase skin diving equipment online, it must be approved be the instructor.
Age and Skill Requirements
- Ages for Open Water Diver certification at FSU are 18 and over.
- The class has an entry-level swimming evaluation (200 yards, any stroke), 25 feet underwater on one breath, and 10 minute tread water.
- There is also a medical evaluation form that is required to enter the course.
Questions? Please contact the Leach Aquatics staff at 850.644.4531 or email us for additional information.