FSU Intramural Sports hires nearly 200 students each year to fill positions as referees and umpires. Officials are needed for almost all IM team sports including flag football, volleyball, soccer, basketball, and softball. Training sessions are held in the weeks prior to the beginning of each respective season.
- Entry-level position within Intramural Sports. Available only to current FSU students.
- Varied hours, typically evenings and late nights. Starting salary is current Florida minimum wage per hour. Work is seasonal, based on the sports offered.
- Part of officiating crew for various team sports — flag football, volleyball, kickball, basketball, rec soccer, softball, and/or dodgeball. Employee selects which sports he/she wishes to officiate. Scorekeeping may also be required.
- No prior experience necessary. Training clinics provided.
- Interested students must attend appropriate training sessions and complete rules exams & on-field/on-court evaluations before being hired.
- Hiring occurs approximately 2 weeks prior to the start of each team sport season.
- Preferred skills include familiarity with sport (as a player or fan). Previous officiating experience is a bonus.
- Key qualities of successful applicants: Willingness to learn, positive attitude, hustle, ability to accept feedback, willingness to improve throughout season.
How to Apply
- All interested applicants should attend an information session for an overview of IM jobs, pay rates & responsibilities, and application details.
- Intramural Sports Job Information Sessions are held on multiple days at the beginning of each semester.
- As being a sports official is a new job for most students, Intramural Sports provides training clinics prior to the hiring date to assist prospective employees with learning the sport rules, positioning, and mechanics necessary to be successful as an official. Training clinics are FREE!
Free Training Clinics
- Attendance is required for each of the days listed for each clinic. The only excused absence that will be accepted for missed clinic dates is if the date and time of the clinic conflicts with an academic class or meeting.
- Once hired, Intramural Sports continues to evaluate and work to improve each official during the season, as officiating takes time to master.
FFB Officials Training Clinics
Volleyball Officials Training Clinics
If you have any questions, please contact us at 850-644-2430 or via email at email@example.com. You can also stop by the Intramural Sports Office in 1035 Tully Gym during normal business hours to talk with our staff about our job opportunities.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Intramural Sports team!