Lifeguards are responsible for the health and safety of Leach Aquatic Center and Rez Waterfront patrons. Those lifeguards who successfully complete one semester with FSU Aquatics will be trained in American Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding and will be given the opportunity to work at the FSU Rez where they will be responsible for the safety and supervision of our 73-acre waterfront facility.
Lifeguards also have the ability to gain leadership experience through our Student Director positions. Promotional opportunities are available through an application and interview process to employees who demonstrate initiative and strong work ethic.
- Certification not required (we will train you!)
- If hired, you will be trained and certified in lifeguarding, waterfront lifeguarding, CPR, first-aid, AED, and bloodborne pathogens (all OSHA required certifications)
- Maintain constant surveillance of patrons in the facility.
- Act immediately and appropriately to secure safety of patrons in the event of an emergency. Administer CPR/AED and First Aid in an emergency until the arrival of emergency medical services.
- Enforce facility rules, regulation, and policies.
- Inspect the facility and report any unsafe conditions or equipment.
- Implement Campus Recreation Emergency Action Plan, as needed.
Pre-Employment Skills Assessment
- Timed 500 yard swim
- Timed brick event
- (retrieve a 10 lb brick from approximately 12 ft of water, swim it across the 25 yard pool, exit without using a ladder)
- Brief Interview
If you have any questions, please call us at 850-645-6750 or email us. You can also stop by the Leach Center Pool during normal operating hours to talk with our staff about our job opportunities.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Campus Rec team!