American Red Cross Lifeguard Training
The Aquatics Program offers students, faculty and staff, and the community the opportunity to enroll in certification classes. The classes are held at the Leach Center and are taught by certified American Red Cross instructors.
Lifeguard Training Course
The American Red Cross Lifeguard Training program provides participants the skills, knowledge, and certifications needed to work as a professional lifeguard.
- 15 years of age
- 300 yard swim using freestyle or breastroke (not timed, but must be continuos).
- Goggles are allowed.
- Ability to recover a 10-pound brick from a depth of 12 feet and swim 20 yards with the brick held in both hands while keeping your face above water. Participants must exit the pool without using stairs or a ladder in 1:40. Time stops when the participant has exited and is standing on the pool deck.
- Goggles are not allowed during this skill.
- 2 minute tread with hands in armpits
Spring 2017 Schedule and Pricing:
Online registration will open on Tuesday, January 10, 2017
- Participants MUST attend all Sessions in the course
- FSU Students: $150 / Non-Students: $180
- Failure to pass prerequisite skills test will result in a partial refund of $60
- Thurs, Feb 23rd: 5-11pm
- Fri, Feb 24th: 5-11pm
- Sat, Feb 25th: 9-6pm
- Sun, Feb 26th 9-1pm
- Thursday, March 2nd, 9th, 23rd, 30th : 5-11pm
- Friday, April 7th , 21st, 28th : 5-11pm
- Friday, March 31st : 5-11pm
Lifeguarding Recertification Review Course
Open only to currently certified American Red Cross Lifeguards with an approaching expiration date. Lifeguards will be asked to perform the above mentioned Lifeguarding Prerequisites and will practice all skills learned in the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Program. The written test is the same as the original course.
- Saturday, April 1, 2017: 10am-6pm
- Currently enrolled Students: $85
- Non-FSU Students:$95