Fitness consultants work closely with the Fitness Coordinator and Student Directors in Campus Recreation's fitness facilities. Fitness employees have the opportunity to gain experience in the following areas: cardiovascular and strength training programs, equipment management, and fitness floor supervision. The program expectation is that by the third semester, fitness employees will become nationally certified personal tainers, build a client base and personally train clients. Additional promotional opportunities are available through an application and interview process to employees who demonstrate initiative and strong work ethic.
The typical hiring period for this position begins approximately 1 month prior to the end of each semester.
Information Session for Fall 2017 Staff: Wednesday, July 5th and Thursday, July 6th at 6:00 pm in 2500 HWC (Health & Wellness Center).
We will be accepting applications for fitness consultants for the Fall semester. Interested applicants should visit the fitness desk to receive an application. All applications need to be completed and returned by Wednesday, July 12th.
- Provide customer service to patrons on fitness programming.
- Enforce fitness policies and procedures and ensure the safety of patrons in the Leach Student Recreation Center and Fitness and Movement Clinic.
- Track partcipant headcounts on the fitness floor and check-ins for group exercise classes.
- Re-rack weights within designated areas.
- May serve as first responder to medical emergencies within facility. Communicates situations to the proper personnel.
- Positions are available to current FSU students available to work for a minimum of three consecutive semesters.
- Ability to work a minimum of 12 hours per week.
- Current Red Cross CPR/First-Aid certification. Opportunity for certification process provided by department once hired.
- Ability to demonstrate and spot major exercises such as squat, bench press, etc.
- Must be able to safely lift and rack 45 lb. weight plates and heavy dumbbells.
- Applicants with educational backgrounds in Exercise Science, Nutrition & Fitness, and other related fields will be given priority over all others. Applicants without appropriate educational background should possess a strong practical knowledge of strength and cardiovascular training.
- Successful candidates must also possess good communication skills, a positive attitude and work well with supervisors, employees, and partrons of te facility.
How to Apply
- Fitness consultant applications will be available at the Fitness Desk in the Leach Student Recreation Center and the Info Sessions. Completed applications need to be turned into the Leach Center Fitness Desk no later than Wednesday, July 12th.
- If selected, applicants will be contacted to set up an interview the week of July 17th.
- If hired, employees must attend a mandatory five day training course from Saturday, August 6th - Wednesday, August 9th, 9am-6pm everyday.